Strickland to run in 25th Congressional District

AP FILE PHOTO
Tony Strickland.

Photo by ho

AP FILE PHOTO Tony Strickland.

Former state Sen. Tony Strickland of Moorpark, who announced Tuesday that he will be a candidate to replace retiring Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon in the 25th Congressional District, said he plans to move into the district soon but that he will hardly need the help of the Welcome Wagon once he arrives.

“It’s not a big uprooting of my family,” he said. “I live two miles from the district. It’s nothing new. When we eat out, when we shop, we do it in the district. My boy plays in Simi Youth Baseball.”

The district includes most of Simi Valley, the city where Strickland grew up and graduated high school. He also represented about one-third of the district, including all of Simi Valley and part of Santa Clarita, as a state senator from 2008 to 2012.

Despite Strickland’s Simi Valley roots, some critics have sought to portray him as a carpetbagger after he made known his interest in running in the 25th District. The website of a Santa Clarita TV station said in a headline that McKeon was endorsing a “nondistrict resident” to succeed him in Congress.

The Constitution does not require members of the House of Representatives to live in their districts, but Strickland said he plans to look for a home in the 25th District and hopes to move there before the primary.

Strickland is one of two prominent Republicans in the race, and in the June 3 primary he will compete against state Sen. Steve Knight of Palmdale for the support of GOP voters.

Knight said last week he did not plan to make an issue of Strickland’s residency.

“That’ll be up for the voters to decide,” he said. “I do think you have to a commitment to the district you represent, that it be the place where you live and shop and raise your kids.”

Strickland said he does not know whether he will move to Simi Valley or to one of the Los Angeles County communities in the district, which include Santa Clarita, Palmdale, Lancaster and parts of the San Fernando Valley.

Presumably, the Strickland family will need to stay in or near Ventura County. Audra Strickland, who like her husband is a former Assembly member, took a job last fall for the Hospital Association of Southern California as regional vice president for Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. The couple have two school-age children.

Strickland, former chairman of the Assembly Republican Caucus and co-chairman of Meg Whitman’s 2010 gubernatorial campaign, said he thinks the campaign should be about leadership.

In a news release formally announcing his candidacy, Strickland said that as a member of the Assembly in 2001, he sued then-Gov. Gray Davis to force the disclosure of details of long-term energy contracts purchased by the state during the electricity crisis.

“I didn’t back down from Gray Davis when he was running California into the ground, and I won’t back down from President Obama and Nancy Pelosi when they try to do the same to our country,” he said.

McKeon, who made his endorsement immediately after announcing his retirement, said he is backing Strickland because, “He shares our conservative values, and he’s effective.”

Knight has received endorsements from much of the district’s GOP establishment, including Ventura County Supervisor Peter Foy of Simi Valley and Assemblyman Scott Wilk of Santa Clarita.

“The political establishment wasn’t with me when I first ran for the state Assembly, and I crossed the finish line,” he said. “Chairman McKeon understands what it takes. I’ll take Congressman McKeon’s endorsement over that of the political establishment.

© 2014 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Related Topics

Comments » 29

OnTheOutside writes:

Oh this is going to be a long thread.

TheCrusader writes:

It'll be fun to watch Steve Knight whip Phony Tony the Carpetbagger! Even Ventura Sup Peter Foy is backing Knight.

FactsMatter writes:

Of course the Strickland sycophants, the same sycophants who last time called Julia Brownley a carpetbagger, will see nothing wrong with Strickland NOW being the carpetbagger.

Typical hypocrisy.

Standard.

OnTheOutside writes:

in response to FactsMatter:

Typical hypocrisy.

Standard.

"If you can't beat em, join em"

craig#262778 writes:

Awesome. Hope he wins!

carthomas7 writes:

What a phony “The political establishment wasn’t with me when I first ran for the state Assembly, and I crossed the finish line,

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/jan/2...
- vcstar.com

He was barely 28? He upset a Harvard atty who was caught stealing his signs @ 4 am!! NEVER a REAL job Left area for WHITTIER / played pro basketball as a legislator
Wife represents the lobbyists who will FUND his campaign again.

AngryChihuahua writes:

This is a guy who hates government, yet he's wants to make a career out of government. The only thing stupider would be to vote this guy in. Seriously, would you hire a nanny to take care of your children who hates kids? No wonder our government is broken! We keep voting people in who want to sabotage it.

carthomas7 writes:

what a CRY baby “I’m not on a millionaire’s budget, and like a lot of people, my house doesn’t have a lot of equity,” he said.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2014/jan/2...
- vcstar.com
Home has Fraudra only as owner; just like she did before he can RENT an apt / home and there is NO requirement to sell, until may be God forbid he wins.
WHY DOES HE NOT SHOP LOCAL!!!

2506 Ashmore Circle Apt 13 91362 RENT!
FPPC # 1324449
PO Box 1142
Thousand Oaks, CA 91358

info@audra2010.com

He PAID her to work on his campaign and was NOT FINED ENOUGH!!

Patron writes:

I will call Julia a carpetbagger the same as I will call Tony a carpetbagger.
The difference is Tonys not running in my district, if he was I would still be hard pressed to vote for him or his wife.

Piru_T writes:

in response to Patron:

I will call Julia a carpetbagger the same as I will call Tony a carpetbagger.

I can appreciate that, but I have to ask you would you rather have another leftist Democrat?

I sure as heck wouldn't and would hold my nose and vote for someone that I do not prefer who is a Republican than any Democrat on the planet.

Chris Christie for instance is someone that I do not like and would not support for president, unless he was the nominee, then and only then would I vote for him, as opposed to the alternative of any Democrat.

I would suggest that if you haven't met Tony, make it appoint to do so and go to his office and ask him what ever questions you like, he is available, whereas Julia is not.

I find it funny reading some hate posts where Tony who has been accused being a carpetbagger for moving 5 miles in order to reside in a district that he already represented, but had changes due to redistricting, but Julia Browley a lifelong Santa Monica Lib rents an apartment in Oak Park, 35 miles from her home in Santa Monica 30 days before the congressional election and is defended by the same Hypocritical Democrat Tools, particularly the guy who likes hanging out at TO council meetings as if he was something, wink wink, And apparently Julia from what I have heard does not even reside at that address and is rarely ever seen in that complex off of Kanan Rd.

Tony, like him or not is a VC resident and is not a carpetbagger, while Julia on the other hand is nothing less than a Carpet Bag in every sense of the word s !

FactsMatter writes:

in response to Piru_T:

Intelligent people realize that by Tony moving to locate in another district it makes him an absolute unqualified carpetbagger. Dumb people of course do not.

Patron writes:

The stooges Dennert and Herdt are trying to slam Stricland for an old ad saying Ventura county is not LA. I think the people in Santa Clarita would rather be associated with us then LA.

Piru, I have met the former junior assembly perso, and his wife. They are useless politicos looking to feed from the trough.

ms_reason writes:

Good for Tony Strickland. He is persistent, which is a great quality. I hope he wins. We need true leadership, not that fake leadership liberals represent.

carthomas7 writes:

Piru @ least you have some class to not attack personally; since you feel so strongly about certain issues why don't you get your a... of the coach and speak at some of these meetings!!
Meet Tony; I have probably mey him and even Fraudra more than you; in fact i wanted a new crop of leadership 15 yrs ago and gave him a small donation. But when the Chem,ical assoc., Med Tech Assoc, SC Contractos give $10,000 to him it is NOT out of altruism; they want WATERED DOWN anti consumer legislation.
Legislators are supposed to represent us the voters and NOT the special interests.
I am with you in that for local seats the unions have undue influence but this is not a perfect world.
These 2 are the worst examples of leeches who feed of the gullible folks and our tax dollars.
Residency is a red herring but we only bring it up because YOU DO!! the people spoke and the modern day Joan of Arc is our rep and will be for the near future.
Lets have a fair fight and NO jerry mandered districts.
Can any one answer why since he is so patriotic he went to Whittier? (No CLU, CSUN etc.)??
How you can support them despite their CONVICTIONS of using donations to give her a salary??
Simple question why is the home titled under her name only?? Just curious??
Please tell us ONE REAL job (not the VP in S Barbara) that this man has held.
Right now outa office reading papers and calling donors for 2 years!! This is a great man!!!
Carla

Piru_T writes:

in response to carthomas7:

Lets have a fair fight and NO jerry mandered districts.
Simple question why is the home titled under her name only?? Just curious??
Please tell us ONE REAL job (not the VP in S Barbara) that this man has held.
Carla

Big Deal, so Audra was a paid staffer on Tony's campaign staff, the same was true with Tony Beilenson with his wife Delores, Brad Sherman mans many other politicians.

Because he went to Whittier College over CLU or CSUN ?

How ridiculous is that ?

What if he went to Pepperdine would you be claiming he was a rich Christian kid, or UCLA a snobby elitist?

Your grasping at straws if you really want to go there, one of the reasons he chose Whittier College might have something to do with its moderate to conservative views of its Political/Social Science department and the fact that it is on of the top colleges in the country.

CLU is primarily a teaching credentials college that while being a very good school isn't a fit for over 98% of graduating local students, and CSUN is no prize of a school, trust me I went there and would have dropped that school for Whittier in a nanosecond.

Why is their home in her name?

Isn't California a community property law state?

Maybe you should ask Tony, but to me it is not a relevant question, nor is why he didn't go to CLU.

To single out Tony as being a lifelong politician, his wife as well only to raise holy heck when she is hired by a private company as a consultant, and the fact that over three fourths of all Democrat politicians never had a private sector job, Moonbeam Brown is just one example Linda Lefty Parks is another.

My only concern about Howard "Buck" Mc Keon's replacement is how will he vote when in congress and that he or she not be a rubber stamp for either party but views that represent a fiscally conservative position that is moderate on social issues, Tony has been just that.

Piru_T writes:

in response to Patron:

I have to disagree with you on Tony and Audra, and as I said just previously why should they be any different than most politicians and why was it that Audra was so badly pillared by so many when she got a job in the private sector.

What about lifelong politician Lefty Parks?

Now there is a phony if there ever was one, who was a self proclaimed liberal while on the TO planning commission, runs as a Republican only for political expediency by moving to the right and quickly to the left after being elected County Supervisor and being a longtime fellow Santa Monica Elitist with Brown Bags herself.

Also there will be many more candidates coming into the fray, many from the Santa Clarita Valley who will probably have the upper hand given that there are twice as many people out there as in Simi and the fact that is where Buck is from.

I would like to see local representation if at all possible, as well as seeing Brown Bags defeated in November.

I just do not get this obsession with blasting Tony Strickland, when there are so many horrible Democrats abound that in truth are the ones doing so much damage to our local economy, need I say VDCC?

You still haven't made clear of any of Tony's policy positions that you do not agree

jjohnjj writes:

Hoo-boy... I can't believe that Strickland is boasting about his 2001 lawsuit against Gray Davis.

The Governor was engaged in a high-stakes poker game to stop the rolling blackouts when TS demanded that Davis show his hand to the hustlers sitting across the table. Astonishing.

We shouldn't be too hard on Strickland however. He was just the front man for a right-wing "institute"(USFJ) that has a long, sordid record of harassing Democratic officials with lawsuits.

Too bad they didn't sue Arnold Schwarzenegger - to find out just what kind of deal he made at his 2001 closed-door meeting with Enron Chairman Ken Lay.

The result was that all efforts to investigate the fraud and recover the money stolen from California rate payers came to an abrupt halt when Davis left office.

The California Electric Power Crisis was a direct product of the free-for-all free-market theology espoused by Strickland's patrons at the Club For Growth.

Congress has too many "Stricklands" already. They don't need another.

HearMeOut-Thanks writes:

in response to FactsMatter:

Typical hypocrisy.

Standard.

Living about two miles from a district, then moving into a district is hardly carpetbagging, considering Strickland went to high school there and has a kid playing baseball there. I would say Hillary Clinton's move from Arkansas to NY would be carpetbagging. But, you know what? People have a right to move anywhere to run for office. It's NOT against the constitution. Sadly, liberal Democrat communists don't understand the constitution, nor to they follow it.

carthomas7 writes:

I agree that Carpetbagger is irrelevant EXCEPT these (name calling removed) tried to use it against the Modern day Joan of Arc (She burnt him @ the election stake)when it is RELEVANT for Board of Supes.
PIRU: MY guess is that he went to Whittier because of basketball. Yup even in basketball he was no Kobe but better than me.
In 2010 he boasted in EXPENSIVE fliers that he was a LOCAL boy; well Knight represents the district MUCH BETTER. Even SC may be close but it is VERY different than Simi.
I have sold, still have customers in the whole area.

READ & Weep; Northwest was a customer and would buy $500 a month from me. They would NOT give me a DOLLAR Let alone $10000 unless I provided them some thing of value.
An agent for CASINO gambling>
How can you guys support the lowest of the low!!
From his new web site
“I was raised in Simi Valley and this area is my home,” said Strickland. “Here, I played basketball for Royal High School and learned what a wonderful place it is to live. It’s also the place where I learned the conservative principles and values that have made this country great.”
Well the SC paper was right; he is a NONE resident (Santa Clarita, Pald/Lancaster)!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Strickland‎
Anthony A. "Tony" Strickland (born February 17, 1970) is a former California .... $116,140 in late contributions, a violation of the Political Reform Act of 1974
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is why he should NOT be elected for DOG Cather
Congressional Elections: California District 26 Race: 2012 Cycle ...
2012 Race: California District 26. Select a cycle: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000. Tony Strickland (R) (48% of ... PAC contributions, $852,563, (35%).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Don't FOUL names of Bielonson/Sherman!! Where is it that they violated ANY law except not vote for your special interests!!
FRAUDULENT READ!!
AB 2504 (Audra Strickland) - CalWORKs eligibility: fraudulent ...
totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=200920100AB2504‎
CalWORKs eligibility: fraudulent representations: fines. An act to ... Existing law provides for the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to ... »More.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
California lawmakers face fines for not reporting lobbyists' gifts ...
www.standupca.org/.../california-lawmakers-face-fines-for-not-reporting...‎
Reporting from Sacramento - At least 26 state legislators are being fined for ... Others paying fines include Assemblywoman Audra Strickland (R-Thousand ...
DARE YOU TO FIND ANY THINGS LIKE THIS FOR JEFF GORRELL; Repubs should say NO to politics of graft by NEVER WORK pols!!

Eagleshift writes:

Why is this news? The Stricklands trying to find another office to feed off? Here would be a real shocker...
SOMEWHERE IN THE VICINITY OF VENTURA COUNTY A POLITICAL OFFICE BECOMES VACANT AND A STRICKLAND ISN'T RUNNING!

FactsMatter writes:

in response to ms_reason:

Low IQ is hardly good leadership.

FactsMatter writes:

in response to HearMeOut-Thanks:

Wrong. It is true carpetbagging and the Stricklands have a prior history of it. Remember Audras run for the Board of Supervisiors/

livingthedream writes:

in response to FactsMatter:

You have no clue as to what "intelligent people" think. You never have. You have the one comment, spelled several ways (kinda like your screen name Bob).

Please bring us something new, fresh, and "intelligent" once in a while.

livingthedream writes:

in response to carthomas7:

Lets have a fair fight and NO jerry mandered districts.
Simple question why is the home titled under her name only?? Just curious??
Please tell us ONE REAL job (not the VP in S Barbara) that this man has held.
Carla

I can always tell when the spittle begins to fly on your comments. The spelling, grammar, and purpose leave the room.

I wish that I could understand all of your gibberish. You might actually be making sense some of the time. Can we meet over a cold one at Hooter's one afternoon and find out where we have common interests?

livingthedream writes:

in response to Piru_T:

Because he went to Whittier College over CLU or CSUN ?

How ridiculous is that ?

Why is their home in her name?

Isn't California a community property law state?

Your Dear Leader/Messiah Obummer has never held a job, either. Is he any different than Tony, Bobby Kennedy, or John McCain?

Your argument has no merit

livingthedream writes:

in response to livingthedream:

Your argument has no merit

Wrong post. Sorry, Piru. I meant this for that other guy that claims to be a gal that just rants without purpose, or coherence.

FactsMatter writes:

in response to livingthedream:

Please bring us something new, fresh, and "intelligent" once in a while.

Only the intelligent can recognize intelligence. That means teabaggers cannot.

OnTheOutside writes:

in response to livingthedream:

Please bring us something new, fresh, and "intelligent" once in a while.

Please do not feed the trolls. Thank you.

ridgewalker_101 writes:

I won't be voting for Tony. He likes to buddy up with the HSUS.

Featured Promotions