Teen arrested in Oxnard on suspicion of carrying loaded gun

A 16-year-old was arrested Friday night by Oxnard police officers on suspicion of possessing a loaded firearm, authorities said.

Police say he was loitering with three other people in a north alley of the 1900 block of San Gorgonio Avenue as officers tried to make contact with him. He reportedly fled on foot and discarded a loaded .22-caliber revolver near an apartment building.

He was detained by police just after 9:30 p.m. after a short pursuit, authorities said. He was arrested on suspicion of several weapons violations and booked into Ventura County Juvenile Hall, police said.

© 2014 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Related Topics

Comments » 27

A_Guys_Opinion writes:

When I was a kid I had a .22 rifle and shotgun in my room. I had knives, camping equipment and my other tools. A gun is just a tool. Everyone should be allowed to carry a firearm for personal defense, sporting and any other endeavor. Only the illegal USE of firearms should matter. This country is sad, just plain sad now.

RonPaul2012 writes:

The ONLY way to be truly safe from the criminals among us is to carry a LOADED gun. An unloaded gun is not much protection and the police cannot protect you in almost all circumstances.

If this "teen" used the gun in the commission of a robbery, burglary or assault/murder or other such "true" crime, then prosecute that.

Otherwise, leave him alone - it may be his ONLY chance at protection.

Mina writes:

If you think the average 16 year old is responsible enough to carry a loaded gun out in public, then you are even less sensible than the average 16 year old.

Mina writes:

Do you two actually LIVE in Oxnard?

Mina writes:

Keep in mind that a highly trained professional cop accidentally killed someone here. If you can't trust a cop to get it right 100% of the time, what do you think the risk is for a kid?

Mina writes:

Thank you OPD for doing the hard work of keeping guns out of the hands of children, felons and crazy people. As a citizen, I vow to help you in any way I can, especially by taking teaching reasonable respect for guns and for the safety of others.

kx250rider writes:

If this kid didn't commit a crime with the gun, and has no record, then in my view there is no criminal action on his part. Unfortunately, CA has criminalized the act of protecting oneself by openly carrying a firearm, so now those of us who do not believe that the Nanny State will protect us from the local thuggery, must protect ourselves incognito. This kid simply got caught, and is being persecuted for the sake of making an example.

FormerNPer writes:

This story typically leaves out important information. If these boys were congregating and were stopped for that, they are part of a Gang. Four juveniles may stand around and loiter, so to speak, if they are not part of a Gang. In Oxnard there is a Gang injunction, and Gang members may not congregate together.

Thus, this 16 year old, by law, may not carry a weapon because of his Gang affiliation. It is very very likely he has priors, or going through the paperwork to put him into Juvenile Hall wouldn't have occurred. He also more than likely wouldn't have run if he was just some kid with a .22 rifle going out to shoot targets. He knows he's not allowed to carry, and didn't want to be caught.

I agree there is no harm with responsible adults carrying weapons for protection. I don't think there is any issue with teens or younger hunting or shooting with responsible parents. That being said, I do not think teenagers, especially in Oxnard and cities like Oxnard, should be walking around with a gun. They are not carrying them to hunt, for target practice or even for protection.

Kids carrying guns in Oxnard do so, pretty much, for a single reason. To kill rivals.

Mina writes:

in response to FormerNPer:

So when the police report something as "gang related" in Oxnard, that can mean simply that four or more kids were found together on the same corner?

ms_reason writes:

Hmmm, wonder if it was gang related. Could it be? Wonder what his parents were doing at that time. Who does the gun actually belong to?
So many questions, so little detail. Typical though. Juveniles are so protected when they commit crimes.
I wonder if the media would have covered more if the juvenile caused a traffic jam.

bionox writes:

The insane gun posse is defending a kid packing heat?

Irrevocably, irredeemably, irresponsibly crazy talk from the party of crazy.

Get ready for the decade of the gun. Can't wait for the next massacre of innocents.

FormerNPer writes:

in response to Mina:

If a Gang member does something wrong it is reported as, "gang related." Four Gang members hanging out, violating the Gang Injunction, is against the law. It would qualify as Gang related. (See #2)

Here is a summary of the Injunction:

1. Don't intimidate witnesses,
2. Don't associate with other Colonia Chiques gang members, (with some exceptions),
3. Don't possess guns or dangerous weapons,
4. Don't engage in fighting, Don't use gang gestures (or more commonly known as 'gang signs'),
5. Don't wear gang clothing. [ The gang has chosen Dallas Cowboy trademark colors of blue and white and the single Texas Star to identify their gang ],
6. Stay away from drugs without a prescription,
7. Don't engage in activities associated with drug sales,
8. Stay away from alcohol,
9. Don't graffiti or possess graffiti tools,
10. Don't trespass on property without written consent of owner,
11. Be out of public in the safety zone between 10:00 pm and sunrise (some exceptions) [This public safety zone for Oxnard was designed based on crime statistics and frequency of reported crimes],
12. Don't act as a lookout,
and
13. Obey all laws.

livingthedream writes:

in response to kx250rider:

You did read that sentence at the end of the story where it said that the kid was arrested on several weapons violations, didn't you?

If you did, then your comment was off base. If you didn't, go back and read the entire story, then decide whether to comment as you did.

FormerNPer writes:

in response to bionox:

The insane gun posse is defending a kid packing heat?

Irrevocably, irredeemably, irresponsibly crazy talk from the party of crazy.

I am a complete supporter of the 2nd Amendment and I did anything BUT defend that kid with the gun. Perhaps you should take off your party hack glasses and understand that perhaps they were reacting over the poorly written article and needed more information.

God forbid you Democratic attack dogs don't go after any differing opinion ... however would you survive?

livingthedream writes:

in response to bionox:

The insane gun posse is defending a kid packing heat?

Irrevocably, irredeemably, irresponsibly crazy talk from the party of crazy.

Feeling a bit dramatic today, aren't we? No one defended the kid. Law enforcement did what should have been done. Now, if the libs will just let the courts and jails do their part of enforcing the laws that we have, all will be fine.

I am curious as to what part of the "decade of the gun" was involved here. No one was threatened or shot, so will your decade extend to mere possession of any kind of gun?

Mina writes:

in response to FormerNPer:

Maybe he wasn't talking about you. Are you part of an insane gun posse?

Mina writes:

in response to A_Guys_Opinion:

Actually, A_Guys_Opinion IS defending the kid by implying that this kid had a legal right to carry a loaded gun. Lamenting that "This country is sad, just plain sad now."

How can you not see that as blaming the police for doing their job?

Mina writes:

in response to FormerNPer:

I can't find anything on what the injunction specifically said. Do you have a link to share?

I did read this 2005 LA times article http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/...

Are you saying this 16 year old is one of the 81 people the police identified as gang members in 2005? Or was he added later? Do you know how many people are on the list now, or what you have to do to get on the list?

bronzestarvue writes:

Even out here in VA, where I work, which is an "open carry" and "shall issue" state when it comes to conceal carry permits, a minor like this cannot open carry, nor is he eligible for a conceal carry permit. So the police were justified in their actions, in that this minor had no legal right to be in possession of a firearm in public.

johnm.lau#258056 writes:

in response to A_Guys_Opinion:

How can you justify a teenager carrying a loaded firearm in public in the middle of the night? Was he trying to hunt and bring home supper? Let's get real. He was up to no good!

Doxster writes:

Sorry folks but I don't see any reasonable reason for a "kid" to be possessing a weapon within the city. I grew up with weapons and have spent many an hour hunting but that was in rural areas. It is doubtful, in my opinion, this 16 year old had a valid reason for gun possession.

FormerNPer writes:

in response to Mina:

Maybe he wasn't talking about you. Are you part of an insane gun posse?

Bio considers anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment part of the "insane gun posse." Thus I fit his criteria.

FormerNPer writes:

in response to Mina:

I did read this 2005 LA times article http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/...

I posted a simple version of what the injunction says several posts above. Here is the actual court case that lists the precise rules. https://www.oxnardpd.org/documents/in...

This 16 year old would have been 7 in 2005, I doubt he's one of the original gang members listed. Oxnard PD has a Gang task force, they monitor gang activity and keep lists of those involved. They can add gang members who qualify to this injunction.

In 2012, there were people removed from that list: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jul/0...

I do not know how many are on the current list, or who is on that list, I'm not sure if they give that information out, but if you are really interested you could probably call the Police Station and ask them.

A_Guys_Opinion writes:

OK, my original post was tongue in cheek. I'm glad they got the little gun wielding crook off of the street. Good job Oxnard PD!!!!

governmentleech writes:

Teen arrested...surprise surprise.

wolfbro86 writes:

I'm sorry, I can think of precious few reasons to be carrying a loaded gun in an urban area, and just about all of them are illegal, especially for a minor. I think it's illegal for a minor to even own a handgun; I'm almost certain that it is illegal for a minor to purchase one. In addition, it is unlikely that the kid was carrying the gun openly, so add on that a minor is carrying a loaded, concealed firearm.

Yeah.

bronzestarvue writes:

in response to wolfbro86:

Yeah.

CA is not an "open carry" state, and is a "may issue" state when it comes to conceal carry permits, which means it's EXTREMELY difficult to obtain one, and that's just for adults. So there are all kinds of things amiss with this minor carrying a loaded firearm. There is absolutely no legal justification for him doing this, from not being old enough to own one, to carrying a loaded firearm, to carrying it concealed. Three strikes, you're out kiddo...

Featured Promotions