Authorities continue looking for people involved in Oxnard double shooting

VIEW HOMICIDE MAP »

In cooperation with the Ventura County Sheriff's Office, The Star now showcases a crime map, Most Wanted information and photos, and press releases from the Sheriff.

VIEW CRIME MAP »

VIEW MOST WANTED »

Oxnard police were looking Tuesday for people involved in a shooting the night before that left one man dead and another injured, officials said.

Police responded about 6:40 p.m. Monday to reports of gunshots in the 2000 block of Mariposa Street.

Joshua Van, 24, of Oxnard, was found at the scene. Emergency personnel unsuccessfully tried to save him, police said. An autopsy revealed he died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

An 18-year-old man also was shot, in the stomach. He was taken to a hospital, where he underwent surgery and was in stable condition, officials said.

Investigators said they had not identified a motive. No arrests had been made as of late Tuesday, officials said.

“We haven’t been able to establish what led to the shooting and are still attempting to locate witnesses,” said Oxnard police Sgt. Christopher Williams. It was not known if the shooting was gang-related, or how many people were involved, he said.

Van apparently lived in the area where he was shot. He had a criminal record in Ventura County dating to 2008, according to court records. His convictions included possession of a controlled substance, second-degree robbery, first-degree residential burglary and assault likely to produce great bodily injury, records show.

The city of Oxnard offers a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a homicide suspect. Anyone with information about this incident should call Detective Miguel Serrato at 385-7688 or Ventura County Crime Stoppers anonymously at 800-222-8477.

It was Oxnard’s first homicide of 2014 and only the third in Ventura County. The city had 15 homicides last year.

© 2014 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Related Topics

Comments » 30

Hopper writes:

What?? Not in oxanard, it's one of the safest cities in the country!!!

ms_reason writes:

I wonder if this was gang related.

Cy writes:

I'm sorry that all of you who live in Oxnard have to put up with this garbage. Truly.

CICondors writes:

This surly does no bode well for Oxnard's image as a safe city.
Shooting,stabbing and robbery semes to pervy the image of Oxnard.

wynonarose#270205 writes:

I live in Oxnard and love it here. But I don't understand the "safest city" thing when this violence occurs almost daily.

governmentleech writes:

Good thing there's no city council meeting tonight; the chief may have a difficult time explaining this one.

michaelait#793630 writes:

Gangs. Mother Natures cleansing solution for defective humanity.

Luvee writes:

This might make them slip in their ratings, because we're only into the second month of the new year.

catmom writes:

in response to ms_reason:

I wonder if this was gang related.

Mina, why haven't you chimed in yet?

schusterjet6791 writes:

A few years ago I asked a rep. from the Oxnard Police Dept. why we were so high in some of these safe city rankings when we have the murder rate we do. The response was that homicide is not included in the stats used to rank how safe it is. Ridiculous, but a true story. My point is I think it is how the statistics are compiled that matter in these rankings.

hesjr writes:

in response to schusterjet6791:

Untrue. Homicide is a "Part 1 Crime ,along with robberies and other felonies and it is part of the equation that the DOJ uses to determine the rate of crime for any particular city. Part 1 crimes per 1000 of the population of any given city. Check it out

Mina writes:

in response to hesjr:

Here's a link to a 2012 report that concurs.

But check out the weird business going on with the rape statistics, it's explained on page two but still doesn't make sense.

schusterjet6791 writes:

in response to hesjr:

Maybe I was not clear in my initial post. I was told by one of the statisticians/analysts at the Oxnard Police Dept. in questioning the cities rankings on one of those surveys of safest cities, that homicide was not included in the survey. I am familiar with Part 1 crimes. My point was maybe the crime of homicide was not used in the survey. I know that is the case in the survey I asked about because they told me that. You will notice the survey was done by a real estate firm with data from the FBI. Now would there be any reason to "adjust" the data based on the surveyor? I don't know. But, the survey I asked about did not use the homicide data. unless I was lied to.

Mina writes:

Business Insider - which ranks Oxnard as #16, says they get their data from the FBI, and:

16. Oxnard, Calif. has a murder rate 5% below average; rape rate 85% below average; and robbery rate 32% above average.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/safe-c...

They say they're going off 2012 data, so I think that means the report linked above. I have a feeling the data is wrong and no one bothered to follow up.

schusterjet6791 writes:

in response to Mina:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/safe-c...

Mina, I am thinking the stats will be much different as the prisoner release data starts to catch up. Of course, depending on who does the survey, which is my point.

Mina writes:

Here is a link to a Real Estate survey that ranks in the safest 37% of cities.

But says:

The crime rate in Oxnard is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 23 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Oxnard is 1 in 43. Based on FBI crime data, Oxnard is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to California, Oxnard has a crime rate that is higher than 51% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.

However, compared to other communities of similar population size, Oxnard has a crime rate that is noticeably lower than the average. This means that for comparably sized cities all across America, Oxnard is actually safer than most according to NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis of FBI crime data.

The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.

Mina writes:

in response to schusterjet6791:

Yeah, I agree.

archtmf writes:

in response to schusterjet6791:

Every community will be negatively affected by early prisoner release, not just Oxnard.

SouthEastOxnard writes:

"He had a criminal record in Ventura County dating to 2008, according to court records. His convictions included possession of a controlled substance, second-degree robbery, first-degree residential burglary and assault likely to produce great bodily injury, records show."

This may be the motive right here.

PeaceforEveryone writes:

in response to SouthEastOxnard:

This may be the motive right here.

Actually you are wrong, South East. He had just gotten his life back together. He was no longer involved with any illicit crime, and his record had no motive in the shooting. First hand accounts say they were walking back from the store when a stranger ran past them and fired shots. Do not be so quick to blame when you know nothing about what happened. Those boys had a family who loved them. Remember that.

PeaceforEveryone writes:

in response to ms_reason:

I wonder if this was gang related.

No, it was not.

ms_reason writes:

in response to PeaceforEveryone:

No, it was not.

Well I hope the Police catch the killers. I am sorry for your loss. Very sad.

solizfamily#778505 writes:

I am sorry to see Josh Van's criminal record printed, particularly without the context of the whole person that he was. I knew him to be a well raised and well loved young man. He served his term in prison and served California during that time by fighting forest fires. He paid his debt for his errors. His life should be celebrated, not disparaged, publicly. I think I am not alone hoping that when I pass my gifts will be remembered and my errors will be privately forgiven. MY heart goes out to his family and friends. Josephine Soliz MD

solizfamily#778505 writes:

solizfamily#778505 writes:
I am sorry to see Josh Van's criminal record printed, particularly without the context of the whole person that he was. I knew him to be a well raised and well loved young man. He served his term in prison and served California during that time by fighting forest fires. He paid his debt for his errors. His life should be celebrated, not disparaged, publicly. I think I am not alone hoping that when I pass, my gifts will be remembered and my errors will be privately forgiven. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Josephine Soliz MD

PeaceforEveryone writes:

in response to solizfamily#778505:

Josephine, thank you for your kind words about my nephew. You are right. He was a young kid who made some mistakes, but he was a kind and decent young man who paid his debts and tried to bless everyone he came into contact with. He was a young man who loved life, and I was disappointed to see that they brought his record up in this article as if it was the only thing that mattered. I wish she would have contacted family and friends to get the whole story instead of painting him as a criminal who was shot on the street for that reason. First person accounts say it was random and they may have been caught in the cross fire.
Thanks again for your kind words. Our family is grateful for people like you. God Bless and take care.

CICondors writes:

in response to SouthEastOxnard:

This may be the motive right here.

The adage ,live by the sword,die by the sword ,sure rings true in Oxnard.

governmentleech writes:

So you can go to that quaint little chicken nugget store in the quaint little ciy, one of the safest in the nation at the peak dinner time; all of that is hunky dory; just try not to get caught in the cross-fire.

Mina writes:

in response to CICondors:

The adage ,live by the sword,die by the sword ,sure rings true in Oxnard.

It's this kind of repugnant glee from certain members of the community that makes me fear that these shootings may actually be hate crimes.

Here's a little video that show's why it may be impossible for the police to find the real killers if they're too focused on looking for gang members.

A selective attention test

CICondors writes:

in response to Mina:

A selective attention test

DUH! Yeah that is really informative helping authorities continue looking for people involved in Oxnard double shooting

Ya think ?

FormerNPer writes:

in response to Mina:

A selective attention test

Are you kidding me? Mina these continued attacks by young males against other young males can not be explained by a YouTube video of 6 girls throwing balls to each other, while I monkey walks through the picture. Give it a REST. It's not a Caucasian serial killer.

The unfortunate facts in cases like this is gang members either killing each other, or killing innocent males who fit in the correct age range, thinking they rival gang members. It's a sad view of our society, but it's even worse when someone tries to race bait these horrible events.

Featured Promotions