Newbury Park man killed after wrong-way crash in Carpinteria

A Newbury Park man died after driving the wrong way and crashing on Highway 101 in Carpinteria early Monday, officials said.

About 1:10 a.m. the man was traveling south on the northbound lanes when he crashed into another car and continued driving out of control, according to the California Highway Patrol. The man then crashed into a second car before hitting the center divider and both cars caught fire, the CHP reported.

Four people in the Honda, two adults and two children, were able to get out of the car before it was engulfed in flames.

The 44-year-old wrong-way driver was trapped inside his vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.

CHP closed northbound lanes for hours during the investigation and were eventually re-opened.

The man, who has not been identified, had been reported traveling the wrong way at high speeds from Summerland. Several CHP officers tried to stop the driver, but were unable to. The driver was also involved in another noninjury crash with another vehicle before crashing in Carpinteria, according to the CHP.

© 2014 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Discuss

Comments » 13

jackpoint writes:

These COWARDLY suicidal people are getting more prevalent. Must be the latest fad. They must be too crazy to buy a gun, which is something I thought was IMPOSSIBLE.

catmom writes:

in response to jackpoint:

Where did you get the idea he did this on purpose? Most likely he had just a bit too much to drink.

Doxster writes:

Assumptions, Assumptions.
Nothing in the story indicates what caused the 44 year old driver to drive the wrong direction.
A lot of "could a been".
In reading the story, I am not certain what the highway patrol was doing to stop the driver. I doubt they were in pursuit given the wrong direction of the driver.
Again, I think the Star has dropped the ball with their reporting.

bionox writes:

Tonight I was driving westbound on Hueneme Rd. just past Saviers and here comes a friggin' wrong way driver. This was just after sunset. Lots of idjits out there, be careful!

Aero writes:

It's a safe assumption that he was an a&%-hole for driving the wrong way on the freeway... drunk, suicidal or otherwise! The good news is that he was the only casualty!

Aero writes:

in response to bionox:

Thanks for the warning! I was driving home that rout just a couple hours after you did.

dreckerson writes:

It's just unfortunate that the process of natural selection often hurts innocent people while trying to eliminate the stupid people.

OnTheOutside writes:

Amazing how it was the wrong way driver dying instead of the innocent people on the road. A rarity.

rationalthinker1 writes:

Could easily be a diabetic experiencing an extreme hypoglycemic event.

FormerNPer writes:

Whatever the reason he was going the wrong way, it's a scary situation. It's also not one you can ever prepare for. When I was a new driver I was on the 134 headed towards the 101 and home. Coming around a slight curve I met someone coming at me head on, I immediately swerved to the right and we avoided a head on by nano-seconds. I always thought I did pretty well with my reactions being a young driver and being able to avoid the crash. Then we had a long time family friend's daughter in the same situation, she swerved right, the wrong-way driver went left. The only one that walked away was the wrong-way driver, the rest were killed on impact.

You want to spend some tax money wisely? Put spike barriers at the tops of off ramps to prevent drivers from going up them backwards.

Head on accidents at that speed never end well.

erinmorhar#778307 writes:

This man was a son, a brother, an uncle, a nephew...but most importantly a FATHER. He was a good person and he will be missed by so many that loved him.

Traditional-2 writes:

in response to erinmorhar#778307:

Prayers for God's love and comfort for the entire family.

aschepke#793023 writes:

in response to erinmorhar#778307:

Peace and prayers to his family and friends.

Featured Promotions