Cyclist fatally struck by sheriff's car is ID'd

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — Authorities have identified a bicyclist who was fatally struck by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's patrol car on Mulholland Highway.

Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale says 65-year-old Milton Everett Olin, Jr. of Woodland Hills died Sunday afternoon.

The sheriff's department said the deputy in the patrol car and Olin were traveling in the same direction in Calabasas when the collision occurred.

KCAL-TV reports the cyclist was in the bicycle lane when he was struck. He landed on the windshield, shattering the glass before rolling off the patrol car and landing on the street.

The deputy was taken to a hospital for treatment of cuts and bruises.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

City News Service reports Olin practiced internet, intellectual property and entertainment law and was former chief operating officer of Napster.

• Discuss

Comments » 15

sstflyer writes:

Texting while driving?

Mina writes:

A protected bicycle pathway connecting Ventura's cities might not solve all bicycle accidents, but it could go a long way towards reducing them and making bicycle travel more viable again.

TheRevWillyD writes:

This was a car accident Mina.
I followed a cop from moorpark to camarillo one morning a few years ago. The entire length of Santa Rosa Rd he was repeatedly drifting well into the bike lane and then snapping back. Obviously doing something other than driving. I couldnt get sight of the city he was from. I was tempted to call 911 and report a drunk driver.

CabCalloway writes:

As a former cyclist, riding on Mulholland always creeped me out. Think about all the bad-to-mediocre drivers out there, then put them into a small, curvy road with lots of sharp turns and slopes, then add in oncoming traffic - accidents are bound to happen. It's tragic that this has to happen.

There's no space for a bike path on Mulholland, Las Virgenes, and Kanan-Dume. Any true cyclist will tell you that riding the streets is the whole point of cycling.

Anyone else wondering how the officer had cuts and bruises, if he was inside a police cruiser?

wonderman writes:

in response to sstflyer:

Texting while driving?

Texting while...riding.

Zutroy writes:

in response to CabCalloway:

Flying glass I'm sure. I've taken a huge chunk of ice to a windshield before and got showered with glass from the impact.

wonderman writes:

oops...my bad: the paper print said that the bicyclist ran into the patrol car, correct me if I'm wrong.

catmom writes:

in response to wonderman:

Early reports did say the biker ran into the cop car.

FormerNPer writes:

in response to TheRevWillyD:

This was a car accident Mina.

Rev, you sent me a private message but your unable to receive private messages in return. I'd love to give you the information you requested, but you'll have to fix your settings.

Now back to your regularly scheduled arguments.

livingthedream writes:

It is always nice to see Mina offer another way for the rest of us to pay for her pipe dreams.

"Pipe dream" is probably where she comes up with her suggestions.

Mina: Where would the money come from to build this bike path across the entire state? I doubt that you intend to pay for it!

dreckerson writes:

in response to TheRevWillyD:

This was a car accident Mina.

I can't even count the number of times I have seen police officers on their cell phones, texting, fiddling with the computer, and swerving all over the road. I am a cyclist who is overly cautious, cause I'm old, but I have seen this and it needs to be addressed by the departments ASAP.

vcmusic writes:

in response to catmom:

Early reports did say the biker ran into the cop car.

History is written by those who survive. It is very hard to be riding on a bike in front of a car and to run into it, especially if the driver of the car is paying attention. But, Mulholland is a very dangerous road for all vehicles. This is very sad for all parties involved.

catmom writes:

in response to vcmusic:

I agree with your analysis. I was just stating what early reports said. There is a new law, as of 10/1/13, I believe, that mandates that cars must allow 3 feet between bike and car when passing bike. I have not read the full language of the law...not sure how you are supposed to treat a situation where the only way to get three foot space would be for car to go over the center line. It would certainly suck to have to stay behind bike for miles, until the space could be achieved. I live in Ojai and used to take Santa Ana Road to Foster Park, but no more, as it is a heavily biked route and there is NO place to legally go over center line.

FormerNPer writes:

I don't know what happened in this accident. Did the police car swerve right and hit the bike? Did the bike swerve left into the path of the police car? I do agree about Mulholland, it is a nasty road, and either circumstance is very viable.

Just to address the cell phone, computer, etc. I think it would be GREAT if they could come up with a way to resolve this. They went to computers to send out information regarding calls due to so many, with the technology, being able to monitor police frequencies. This was giving an advantage to the criminal knowing the actions being taken by the Police. Now most of the pertinent information of a call is done by computer. It is not easy to read a description, information about the incident or any weapons involved while trying to drive. On top of that, often times even using the computer has been found risky to send information and you must call the station for information. Again, distractions. It is not feasible to just pull over and read everything sent, as in most cases people need you there 20 minutes ago ... not in 20 minutes.

Even the best drivers can be distracted. I would love to hear some solutions.

Freedom1 writes:

There are several of bicyclists in my neighborhood who start out the day riding down the middle of the street (it's early - around 5 a.m. so they probably think that's OK) texting on their phones - yes I said TEXTING. Heads down, bikes in the middle of the street and that's not just the neighborhood streets but the main streets as well - crossing in the middle of streets. Distracted driving and riding is dangerous for everyone!

Featured Promotions